Thursday, November 4, 2010

Katakana Analysis Draft

The first katakana word that I found were ミッキ&ミニ (Mickey and Mini). I found it on the website (Medicom Toy Store) where I go shopping for the Japanese toys. The words, Mitki and Mini were used to write loan words. I assumed that the reason for using katakana instead of Hiragana is because foreign loanwords give an impression of sophistication and modernity. Also it has intention to be pronounced as the original. Presumably, Japanese wanted to distinguish between the Japanese word and foreign language by using katakana. In order words, katakana enabled us to guess that a certain word is from foreign country.

The word アカスリ, pronounced Akasuri, is written in katakana but does not come from foreign country. I found it in K-town when I was on my way home. It has meaning of Body Scrubs. It was used to emphasize the word like mirroring the European usage of bold, italic or upper case text. Also it could be written as 垢擦 or in hiragana, あかすりKatakana were used because personally, あかすり looks too lightweight, given that hiragana are mostly used for grammatical particles or verb endings. In an effort to stress that Akasuri is a fully-fledged word, katakana has been used instead. Moreover, another reason could be 垢擦is considered difficult-to-read kanji. Therefore, the usage of katakana was appropriate.




6 comments:

  1. Hi, I agree with your opinion that using katakana for character's names is to pronounce their names as the original. Like "Hello Kitty" and "Atom," most of characters are named in katakana. Do you know why? Or is there any Japanese characters having hiragana or kanji name?

    I was surprised there's a "Akasuri" place in America. I think あかすり sounds softer than アカスリ, and the doctor would be kind. 垢擦り looks too hard to read and to visit! Do you wanna go there?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't recognize that "ミッキー&ミニー Mickey and Mini" write in Katakana. I agree with your analysis about that because Mickey and Mini is imported from foreign country so that they use in Katakana.

    ReplyDelete
  3. とてもおもしろいです。ミッキー&ミニーはデッズニー(Disney)のキャラクター (Character) ですね。I thought your analysis was very interesting. I think there is probably more you can say about the use of katakana for character names; as an earlier commenter wrote, it would be interesting to look at how character names are treated in general. While Mickey and Mini are American characters, many Japanese characters have names that are written with katakana, such as リラックマ, (rilakkuma). Why do you think that is?

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are definitely right that カタカナ can be used to represent loan words, and I feel that doing so is important because there are so many of them used in Japanese! There could be a word with roughly the same pronunciation, but with different meanings depending on whether ひらがなor カタカナ is used.

    Also, the アカスリ example is very interesting! I would guess it is because of the importance of the procedure that it is emphasized in カタカナ。

    ReplyDelete
  5. Seohee-jjan!これわとてもおもしろいanalysisです!Yeah.. I also recognized Snoopy, one of my Favorite characters yay! :), is spelled in カタカナ and wondered why. Your analysis on Micki and mini was really helpful! oh, and! はい、Ippudoへいきましょ for sure sometime soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. こんにちは。とてもおもしろいですね!
    I agree with Your analysis about ミッキー&ミニー.
    But there are a lot of words expressed in カタカナ except loanwords. So アカスリ exemple was very interesting. I think it may express アカスリ is a proper noun like a certain name.

    ReplyDelete